Sunday, January 31, 2010

Galveston, Texas

Our first stop in Texas was Galveston, and there's lots to see.  This was the Bishop's Palace.  There are no photographs allowed on the inside, but it is absolutely beautiful.  Yes, that's Don at the top of the steps with his winter jacket.  We've been gone a whole month and have only seen 2 partial days in the 70's.

This castle was originally built by a rich family and was bought during the depresion for next to nothing by the Catholic diocese for the Bishop.

Our next stop was the Elissa.  That was very interesting.  I'm not a huge boat fan, but Don is.

I loved these posters, there were 3 of them, all on the origin of words and statements.  Double click on it so you can read it.

And here is Don in his Glory.

I spotted these houses as we were driving, thought it was a good shot.

Our last stop was at the Loan Star Flight Museum.  This sign got me wondering why Texas is the Lone Star state.  I can understand many of the state nicknames, but why "lone star".  For those of you who know me, you know that I couldn't just "wonder", I had to find out.  Check out this Lone Star link.

Like the Pensacola Museum, the old planes were very interesting.


Next stop, Corpus Christi, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment