Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tupelo, Mississippi

We left Graceland this morning to head to Tupelo, Mississippi to see Elvis's place of birth.  We were headed to Alabama anyway, and that was on the way.

But of course I had to stop at a quilt shop.  My friend Edie, who also travels and is a quilter, picks up fabric from as many states as she can that reminds her of something she visited there.  I thought that was such an awesome idea I started doing the same thing.  Luckily, some of my co-workers bought me "Quilters' Travel Companion", so I was able to find a quilt shop in Tupelo, Mississippi.  (and several other states).  Its been fun.  Now all I have to do is come up with a pattern.

Our next stop was Elvis's birth place.  It was a really small house, 450 sq.ft., one of those shotgun houses like I talked about in New Orleans.  In 1968 he came back to Tupelo to do a concert, drove by the house and bought it, donated it to the city and had them build a park so children would have a place to play.  There was also another museum there.  We were both amazed at all that man did, the awards he won, the money he donated, etc.  He totally changed music, combining gospel, country, and blues, his favorite being gospel.  We both have a new appreciation for him.

This is the church he attended with his family and that gave him a love of gospel music.  They literally moved the church next to the house to be part of the park.

This is a car like the one the family packed everything in and moved to Memphis in 1948 when he was 13.


No comments:

Post a Comment