Monday, September 20, 2010

Quonset, R.I.

When Don was in the Navy Seabees, he was stationed at Quonset Point.  There is no longer a base there but we went to investigate.

The Quonset Air Museum was in an old military hanger, Don was kind of disappointed.  I guess after going to the air museum in Pensacola, FL. last winter, everything else will be disappointing.

This showed what tight quarters they had inside, and metal seats!

He's so serious!

This caught my eye, (my maiden name was Bell)

Amazing that people fly in these with no door.

This was a missile.

As we were driving through what used to be the base, we saw parking lot after parking lot of cars, most wrapped in white plastic.  There were Audi's, Hundai's, VW's & Porsche's.  They had come off the ships and were being loaded on trucks, but mostly on railroad cars.

Then to the Seabees Museum (CB for Construction Battalion)  I think I had this link last winter.

I love their mascot, ensignia, whatever it is, the "working" bee.

Look at the old Jeeps and equipment.

And there he is by a bell and anchor.

These flags are on a ship's mast.

Then there's the Quonset huts.  I knew what they were but just went "ding, ding, ding" they were made in Quonset, R.I., hense the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment