Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chiricahua National Monument, AZ

We were going to go east from Phoenix, but we decided to stay as far south as possible because of the weather.  Its still pretty chilly.  Consequently, we ended up in southeast Arizona again so we could go visit Chiricauhua National Monument.

I took 120 pictures, again it was difficult to pick just a few, and they will look a lot better if you enlarge them.
They look like huge pillars.

Look at the snow on the right, I felt like I was in the White Mountains in N.H.


Doesn't this look like New England?  I've been missing the trees then I get here with a bunch of trees and complain that they're in the way.  I guess we're never happy.  (But I really am.)


There were many balanced rocks, absolutely amazing.

The road went right up the side of the mountain.  When we got to the top and looked down, we saw the pillars from the top, so many of them.

This middle mountain is called Cochise Head.  If you look at it carefully you see the profile of a face.  The forehead is over to the right, his nose is a little left of the middle, then you see the lips and the chin.  Its amazing.  And of course it only looks like that at a certain angle and height.  I guess Cochise ran in these hills.

There were a few stops where you could get out of the car and explore.  I went on this path and got a good view of these balancing rocks.  They were huge, so you know they just weren't just set there.

You expect them to fall.

So while I was on this path, I thought Don was behind me.  I kept looking back and he never showed up,  so I just went back to the car.  There he was still sitting in the car with his head sticking out the window, chirping like a bird.  This Mexican Blue Jay was on the ground next to the driver's door of the car and he didn't want to disturb it, so he talked to it.

And again more balanced rocks.


And more.

This really looks like it will topple over.

And more.

Look at the pillar just about the middle of the picture, it looks like it did fall and settled there at an angle.

2 comments:

  1. Is it me or do I see a bunch of faces looking back at me. Those balanced rocks are amazing. They look like statues!

    ReplyDelete