Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Bad Lands, SD

Like I've said before, I love getting a full view of a town from a hill.  I believe this was Wall. SD.  (You can see the reflection of the atlas on the dash.  I'm surprised you can't see the dead bugs on the windshield.)

We stopped at the famous Wall Drug Store.  It was opened in 1931 and to attract business in 1937, the owner's wife put signs on the roads comming into Wall "Free ice water" and business boomed and now you can buy almost anything there.  It is HUGE.  We had lunch there.

Then it was off to the The Badlands.  This place is absolutely beautiful.  Another one of those places that has a surprise every time you turn a corner.

They almost look like sand sculptures, but it's all rock, actually, sandstone.

We took so many pictures it was extremely difficult to pick.

All I could do was basically close my eyes and pick.

If you look closely, you'll see 2 people at the top of that peak.  Double click on the picture to enlarge it, then you'll be able to see them better.

You can see the different layers and how the earth's changes effected these formations.

There's no way I was going to get that close.

I took a picture looking down, and wasn't about to get closer to the edge.

The sun was going down and it totally changed the color of the formations.

Look at these effects.

Outstanding.

Simply outstanding.

Its interesting how it has worn away and the shapes it has taken.

Look at the repetition of erosion patterns.

And the layering, which I would think is also part of the erosion pattern.

And finally we head home in the sunset to our motor home.

 

1 comment: